I didn't grow up in a church community, though I had a brief love affair with the ritual I found in an Episcopal church in Oregon in my twenties. My legitimate quest to create a spiritual practice was birthed in middle age by borrowing from the Buddhist practice of mindfulness, and the strong connection I felt for the worship of the Earth as taught us by our first nations. In Native American cultures The Great Spirit is a deity intertwined with the fabric of the Universe and the web of the life on Earth. It wasn't until recent years I discovered my Wiccan roots and the pre-Christian possibility that my ancestors were Earth worshippers. When I started this journey I worried because I didn’t know how to pray. Turns out we all know how to pray through our love of and gratitude for the gifts of life. This vault is for those who, like me, hunger for a spiritual practice and are learning to braid their own.

Friday, July 17, 2015

Song as prayer

There were signs.

I should have known that waking up most mornings for an entire lifetime with a song in my head was some sort of sign. I should have known that when I attended my first earth-centered spirituality information course in the fall two years ago that the most impactful exercise in the half-day workshop I attended in Portland's Hoyt Arboreteum was when I sang in a round ("beauty up above you, beauty down below you, beauty all around you, beauty from within you"). I walked next to a strong baritone and every note spoke to me like a distant native language resurrected. But then I saw an example in front of me that led the way.

While attending a spiritual group one Friday evening, a slender young woman with China skin, enlivened Robin-egg-blue eyes and dreds sang a song on the agenda. It was a call to action song, "People of the earth tribe rise up, people of the earth tribe rise up now . . . " I knew in that instant I must sing. Rather than stand up against what I loathe I must speak up for what I love. I must sing.


Luck would have it that spirited songstress happened to be attending a song and ceremony school and invited me to join their year-long commitment. I enrolled in song school and learned about the potential importance of sound and voice raising vibration to connect with Spirit. I sang with singer/songwriters, listened to every song on their website and started a book of songs I love to sing, and songs I would love to share with others. Songs sung with others have to be short and easy to learn.

(Blogger doesn't currently support audio files. When they do I will add a few favorite songs. In the meantime, visit http://www.singingalive.org/songs/.) I find that starting or ending a prayer with a simple song is perfect for me. Sometimes a song alone is enough. One of my favorites for starting a meal of two or more: There is no time. Speaking of families, in my case I know adding native songs to our rituals will be awkward at first. One of the poets I met at Fishtrap Outpost has created a ritual of reading his (and others) poetry at the dinner table with the extended family, and wouldn't think of doing it any other way. I am gathering my courage.




No comments:

Post a Comment